The first 3 dates are very important if you’re looking for a long-term relationship. If you do not want to be in a committed relationship right now, the only thing you have to be concerned with is your reputation. This is true whether you’re a woman or a man. Both men and women sometimes talk about the character of the person they dated, but in completely different ways as you probably know.
It’s true about first impressions. They do last. So be smart, be courteous, and most importantly, be yourself and not some made up act. If you’re unsure about something, pay attention to and trust your intuition.
Here is a list of tips, strategies, and tactics for the first 3 dates in the form of dos and don’ts. Although I’ve covered some of these in more detail in other articles, this concise and clear-cut format is intended to be easier to absorb and recall. Some of the dos and don’ts apply to the entire dating and relationship building experience. I think you’ll recognize which ones they are.
I’m going to start by giving you the don’ts. I’ll follow with the good stuff – the dos!
- Don’t spend a lot of money.
- Don’t arrive with no plans.
- Don’t compliment them too much.
- Don’t criticize or complain about anything.
- Don’t talk about your ex’s or relationship history.
- Don’t talk as you would with a close friend or sibling.
- Don’t tell them your life story.
- Don’t talk endlessly about yourself.
- Don’t agree to things that go against your values.
- Don’t drink too much.
- Don’t check out or flirt with other people.
- Don’t split your attention.
- Don’t make sexually suggestive comments.
- Don’t try to have long kissing sessions.
- Don’t have sex.
- Don’t ignore bad gut feelings.
- Be on time.
- Have a detailed plan.
- Ask interesting questions.
- Be positive and upbeat, but real.
- Be your wonderful self.
- Take a stand on your principles as needed.
- Teach them how to treat you in a diplomatic way.
- Give them your undivided attention.
- Be an excellent listener.
- Thank them for anything they pay for.
- Save long passionate kissing for later.
- Save sex for later.
- Focus on becoming friends.
- Trust your intuition.
- Leave if the situation feels dangerous.
The first 3 dates can be some of the best. They can create some awesome memories.
Don’t worry about being nervous. We are all nervous in the beginning — including your date. Keep in mind that these dates are not all or nothing propositions. Looking at this logically, there are hundreds of other great matches for you. So just concentrate on having a good time. 🙂