The romantic ideas presented here come in two different flavors. Some of them offer an unusual twist to traditional methods and some of them are original.
1. Send unpredictable notes. Send or leave short notes about your love for them or your appreciation for something they did for you on a continuous, but unpredictable basis. Sending them by email is okay, but handwritten notes are better. To add a little spice, put them in unusual locations where you know they will find them.
2. Send a stream of buds. Have a florist deliver a small “bud” vase of flowers for several days, weeks, or months before a special day or events like an anniversary, Valentine’s Day, weekend getaway, vacation, or marriage proposal. Include one of those tiny florist’s cards with a note about how you feel about them with each delivery.
Flowers have traditionally been a gift for women, but most men appreciate them as well. Just be sure that the florist picks a vase and flower colors that are appropriate for a man. If you know that he will not appreciate receiving flowers, send him a basket of fruit or cheese and crackers.
Although purchasing a group of bud vase deliveries is one of the most economical choices you can make at a florist, there is a less expensive alternative. Many grocery stores now have small florist departments. You will not find as broad of an assortment of flowers and vases, but the cost is usually less. To do it this way, you would need to drop by a store in your area periodically, pick out the flowers and a card, and deliver it yourself.
3. Buy some special tickets and deliver them with fanfare. Buy tickets to a concert or play that you “know” they will love to see and send them to where they work. Use a mail delivery service that requires a signature to create some fanfare when they arrive. Be sure to include a note from you with the delivery. You might also add a written plan for the evening that includes dinner and/or drinks before the show. If you really want to make it a special evening, rent a limousine! Include a picture of it from the company’s website or phone book advertisement with your note.
4. Plant a symbolic tree. Give them a five (5) to 15-gallon tree with a note comparing your love and/or relationship with the growth of the tree. This gift will go on reminding them of you in a bigger and bigger way for years! I am recommending a five (5) to 15-gallon tree for these reasons: They are less expensive, easier to handle, and usually grow better than larger ones.
Be sure to find out how to plant it properly. You do not want this symbol of your love to die! If it does, I would suggest that you replace it immediately!
If they live in an apartment or condominium, just get them a tree that grows indoors.
5. Give them tiny gifts. Buy some tiny gifts that are symbolic of some aspect of your relationship, in an amount that matches the length of time you’ve been together or the number of days leading up to an important event. These gifts should be inexpensive but well thought out. Focus on clever, funny, and outrageous things. If you’re artistic, make the gifts.
6. Go out to dinner backward. Go to an area that has an ice cream, pastry, and candy store within walking distance of each other. Start the evening by going to a place where you can just sit, relax, and talk for as long as you want. Then when you’re ready, go shopping for dessert! Go to each one of the stores and just look around and take in the wonderful fragrances. When you’re done, talk about your favorites in as much detail as you’re inspired to do. Finally, go back, buy a couple, and savor each bite! Next, go to a nice restaurant, but instead of dinner order several appetizers! If you’re still hungry after all that go ahead and order dinner.
7. Dine under the stars at sunset! Make or buy a nice dinner and take it to the beach, lake, or park just before sunset. Spit up the chores according to your individual talents. Add some panache by bringing a tablecloth, candles, and firewood. If you have a portable music player bring that too, but put forth the effort to select just the right music.
8. Dine under the stars at sunrise! The peacefulness and privacy are what make this particular time of day special. Make or buy a nice breakfast and take it to the beach, lake, or park just before sunrise. Split up the chores according to your individual talents. Add some panache by bringing a tablecloth and firewood. If you have a portable music player bring that too, but put forth the effort to select just the right music.
9. Have dinner in a bubble bath! Place a nice board across the center of the tub. Place scented candles in strategic locations. Place a small table or box next to the tub for extra space as needed. This is probably obvious, but be sure that the “entire” bathroom is spotless and fresh smelling!
Finger foods or heavy appetizers work best in this situation. After the tub is filled with hot water and mountains of bubbles turn off the lights, put on some appropriate music (in a room nearby), and invite them to join you. Bon voyage! Notes: (a) I am recommending putting on music in a room nearby for these reasons. To eliminate the possibility of electrocution and for better sound quality as bathrooms tend to create echoes. (b) When using candles, it’s essential that you are vigilant when it comes to fire safety.
10. Create a multi-sensory twilight environment inside your home. Get as many scented candles as you can afford. Avoid candles that smell like food. Food scents are not as romantic as exotic fragrances. Arrange them strategically throughout your home. Turn off the lights completely. Put on some music with some real romantic passion like an Andrea Bocelli album. It’s amazing how you don’t need to understand Italian, as most of them are sung in, to “feel” the passion. I particularly like Andrea’s ”Sogno” album. A perfect time to do this is during a romantic dinner at home, just before going out dancing, or at the end of the evening. Note: When using candles, it’s essential that you are vigilant when it comes to fire safety.
11. Add some romantic surprises to a weekend getaway or vacation. Set up a weekend getaway or vacation to one of the places they have always wanted to go. Without them knowing, make one or more of these “special” arrangements:
Option A: Have some flowers and a card with a note from you delivered to your room “before” you arrive. Calling a local florist near the hotel would be the most economical. Most hotels should be able to accommodate your request as well, but it will be considerably more expensive.
Option B: Have a basket of fruit, cheese, and crackers delivered to your room “before” you arrive. Local specialty stores and most hotels can fulfill this request as well. Be sure to include a note from you with this option as well.
Option C: At your own expense and without them knowing, upgrade your hotel room or ship cabin to a suite. Suites come in many different sizes and prices. Just ask the agent to describe them to you including the amenities inside. A less expensive alternative would be to upgrade to a location with a premium view, like an oceanfront room.
12. Create “intimacy” by mutually agreeing to answer a special question. This is one of my favorite questions overall. I’ve used this question with only a few very special women and the outcome was amazing. Here’s the question:
“Would you create a list of 10 things that best describes me using single words or phrases, if I do the same for you?”
Note: It is recommended that you give yourselves several days to work on the list before you meet to exchange or present them. This will give you time to come up with a meaningful list and develop some tantalizing anticipation! Both steps provide a great opportunity for you to learn about yourself and the other person.
13. Create “romance” by mutually agreeing to answer a special question. This is my favorite question in this section. Here’s the question:
“Would you describe your perfect romantic evening, if I do the same?”
Note: It is recommended that you write this description and then exchange, read, or talk about it during a prearranged time. Be sure to give yourselves several days so that you can come up with a thorough description. This activity will give you insights into the secrets to pleasing them.
14. Play your best romantic role. Go separately to a nightclub, coffeehouse, or other public place and sit across the room from each other, but in a location that gives you eye contact. Play a “role” as though you have never met before. Do as you normally would when you meet someone you find attractive. The fact that you’ve presented yourselves as not knowing one another from the beginning encourages you to play out your roles. This idea may sound strange, and it’s not for everyone, but the romantic sensations that tend to grow out of it can be interesting and exciting!
True love + creativity is the formula for romantic ideas.